Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WTF HAPPENED LAST NIGHT: May's Place Sushi, Freemans, La Esquina

HANGOVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
arrrrrrghhh
I rarely get them, but I worked really hard last night to achieve this glorious hangover that is today.
How's that? well lets begin with...
May's Place Sushi
as I mentioned yesterday, I was all excited about the one dollar menu at May's Place and was hitting it again after work. And I surely did. Well, suffice to say thank goodness for the menu, and on my part, refusing to part with it whilst drinking, because with 4 large bottles of warm sake shared with my girly Joanna, I 'd ordered at least 20 one dollar appetizers to soak up all that aaa-aa-a-a-alcohol baby. And as I had predicted yesterday, I got too plastered to remember to take photo's, but at least I remembered to take a picture of the One dollar Menu before the drinking commenced! Ha!


FREEMANS
Freemans certainly deserves its own post. but this will have to suffice as it was in our last night drinking crawl.
I love this place, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Located in the LES, in the hidden Freemans Alley, where surprisingly no bloody cabbie, knows of, so taking someone there for the first time is always a treat as they think you know New York's secret and best hangouts. Definitely a impressing a date spot.

The Freeman experience begins as you walk down the dark alley, illuminated only by the fairy lights hanging on the front of the restaurant. You feel like your entering the world of Narnia, and then, once you enter, you are brought back to reality, the loud chatter, the very hip and yuppie crowd, and the two polite yet never accommodating host's at the door. Always a bloody wait and no reservations, that's why I always head for the bar, but I 'm comfy there, if it isn't too crowded. But then, once you are comfortably sitting, and look around, you are transported back to Narnia, the oak, the dear heads hanging, the huge antlers, the bartenders,  focused and working hard to quench our thirst in this KINGDOM that is Freemans.

How do they feed thee in the Freemans? Like a KING! obviously. The menu is simple, its pure its all just so good, order it all and really, if you do not order appetizers WE are not amused and  YOU should be thrown out of the kingdom! For the love of all food good and Holy order the Devils on a Horseback and Hot Artichoke Dip with Crisp Bread, order it twice, its THAT good.

But last night was about the cocktails, and the Freemans cocktail, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE (view my drunk ass picture of my beloved on the left). I dream of it at times. Even now, I am sure its the remedy to this hangover. I prefer it from any dessert. Even more than the crack pie at momofuku. Its a masterpiece of a cocktail. Fit for a King,!Obviously. Last night we found a little room near the bar and had two fabulous cocktails on top of the warm sake, perfect!

For more reading on Freemans, read the review from the boys of Immaculate Infatuation ...

LA ESQUINA
I have not eaten here, but I hang out here a lot, and drink here a lot. My advice? Do not come on Saturday night, in one word, Shitshow.  The crowd is usually very pretty, lots of model girls and boys. I remember my first experience of La Esquina, down the narrow stairs and through the kitchen. Its a place to impress your out of towner friends and I always have fun here on the weekdays, and sometimes on a Friday. And they do play some good TUNES!
Read the review for the La Esquina Brasserie dining experience at Immaculate Infatuation

No comments:

Post a Comment