Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pylos



128 East 7th Street(Btw Avenue A and First Avenue)
212 473.0220
Trust me when I say this, THIS is DAMN GOOD Greek Food. Now, I don't know if you know, but I'm Greek-Cypriot. So what I am about to write should not be taken with a pinch of sea salt. Nor do I usually start a conversation with "I'm Greek-Cypriot", but I really want you all to pay attention to me on this one.
First of all, PRIME location. A Greek Restaurant in the E.Vill? how great is that? The area and Greek fine dining don't really mix, but it actually makes it just that much more special.
I've come here on two occasions, two different dates. The first time I was seated at the front, where there is little space between you and the other dating patrons. If you like to keep what you are saying between  you and your date, do not sit here. I, had the unfortunate experience of going on a date with a "Kosmo Kramer" type of guy; loud, never stops talking, clumsy, might fall on the floor if surprised, makes loud noises if surprised, scares other patrons. At such close proximity, he spat on me on more than a few occasions, food too came over my way, I even heard the couple next to me giggling about us.  Fortunately, a few days ago, I sat at the bar at the back, far more pleasant dining/dating experience, but a more civilised date as well. 
Now, what does one order? Let me tell you exactly, I'm an appetizer sort a girl, and one should just go that route in a Greek Restaurant (the Meze way). These dishes, my dear readers are a must, Xoriatiki Salata (Village salad), Poikilia (three dips of Taramosalata, Tzatziki and Melitzansalata, Saganaki tou Merakli (a melted cheese dish), Halloumi (my nations cheese, it is served grilled with grapes, I'm not at all biased when I say, the cheese is ONE OF THE BLOODY BEST cheeses. Barbouni (Red Mullet), Sardelles (Sardines), Ktapothi Scharas(octopus). All this for two people (or three probably as I just eat enough for two) and two glasses of Moschofilero Wine, and it will set you back only about 88 bucks my friends, not bad eh??.

Now the Immaculate Infatuation guys  whom I adore, and I take all they say with more than pinch of sea salt, but more by the pound, in their review they gave Pylos a 7.6 . Fair enough, but I give them an 8.0, given that I have, (and I'm going to sound obnoxious and or arrogant right now, so I apologise), been to Greek restaurants in Greece, Cyprus, London and all of bloody Astoria (Zinon, Aliada) and the City (Ammos, Avra, Kellari) and its my preferred Greek Restaurant till now. (in NYC of course, not the whole wide world). Maybe the Immaculate boys didn't go the meze route? maybe THEY had a Kosmo Kramer type girl  dinner-date experience, Maybe they should have gone with me?? ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment